I came across different kinds of coconut rice all over India, they were all delicious. My favourite coconut rice was in a small home-style restaurant in Diveagar Beach we went more than 2 years ago. It was perfect, light and fluffy unlike the heavy and creamy version I found in Kerala which was really good with chicken curry.
Coconut rice is one of my husband’s favourite dishes. He just loves anything that has coconut in it, really! We love simple rice soaked in coconut aroma with some spicy fried fish, though I must admit… it is so good with vegetable masala.
Coconut rice is actually pretty simple to make. Coconut cream gives a beautiful fragrance to rice. It is perfect rice for summer and great with any kind of curry.
Ingredients: (4 servings)
1 1/2 cup rice (basmati rice or jasmine rice)
1 1/2 cup coconut cream
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 cup grated coconut
3 shallots- finely sliced
2 dried whole red chili
1 tsp oil
- Cook rice with coconut cream, water and salt in the medium pot with the lid on over the medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until rice is cooked and tender.
- Heat oil in the pan over the medium heat and deep fried whole dried red chili until lightly burn. Remove from the oil and keep aside.
- Add shallots to the same oil and sauté until golden brown.
- Add coconut and stir fry further for 3-5 minutes or until the coconut become slightly crispy and flaky.
- When the rice is cooked, add coconut-shallot mixtures and deep fried whole red chili in and gently stir the rice until fluffy.
- Serve hot with your favourite curry.
The coconut rice was really light and aromatic. Coconut scented the soft rice with a beautiful aroma while shallot gave a little more gracious sweet to the rice. It was perfectly season and delicious. We served it with gingery cauliflower with capsicum, and it was so perfect.
Have a nice day,