Healthy living is something we tried to absorb in our family as much as possible. I can’t totally go all the way and rule my family against to-do list. Yesterday, my husband came home with a bag of hot chips when it was first rain here and I realized I wouldn’t be able to live without junk food. Practically (for me), becoming healthy is to slowly introduce new healthy tips into my family and adding pure natural ingredients to my cooking.
New thing we’ve been doing for a month now is running in the morning. This new addition changes our life and makes us feel strong, active, energetic and spontaneous. I didn’t know working out with my whole family can be so much fun.
After a sweat off, my husband and son demand a fresh and healthy breakfast. Something light, bright, flavourful and fresh would make them feel reinvigorated.
Rice flour crepe is very simple to make. The thin batter made with rice flour, egg and water spread over the smoky surface sizzled and popped out very quickly with heat. The bottom crust of the crepe gently grilled into pale gold sway the air briefly with toasty aroma.
Now you can really add anything to it whether spreading some jam or custard, filling with bbq chicken or deep fried fish, it softly wraps and unfolds the generous stuffing beautifully. However, we are trying to be healthy here. So I added a good handful of mix salad leaves, fresh basil, grilled shrimp and a luscious drizzle of chili sauce in.
The crispy skin gives a good crunch in every bite while the saucy filling exploded in your mouth. It is very fresh and as delicious as it is nutritious.
Rice Flour Crepe with Shrimp Salad
Ingredients: (4 servings)
For rice flour crepe
1 1/4 cup rice flour
3 tbsp corn four
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg- beaten
1/4 stp salt
1 1/2 cup water
Oil for greasing the pan
250 gm peeled, deveined shrimps
2 cloves garlic- minced
A pinch of salt and pepper
Finely sliced cabbage
Finely sliced carrot
Sweet Chili sauce
1 tsp oil
- Combine rice flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and water in the mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and keep aside.
- Sauté garlic in 1 tsp oil until golden brown, add shrimp, salt and peppers and stir until the shrimp turned pink and cooked thoroughly. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Heat a lightly greased large skillet over the medium heat. When it is smoking hot, add about 1/3- 1/2 cup of batter in the pan. Quickly swirl the pan around to spread the batter evenly. Cover and cook for 1 minute then remove the cover and cook further for few minutes until the bottom pop out of the pan.
- Transfer rice crepe to the serving plate, add salad leaves, cabbage, carrot, basil, some prawn, and drizzle some sweet chili sauce in. Fold the crepe in half and serve hot.
- Repeat the process to cook the rest of the ingredient.
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and to start the day with something so lively and fresh like this one ensures you having great energy whole day. The smoky soft rice flour crepe gently collapsed in the bite cracked open and let the filling dance in our mouths. The sauce gave a great punch adding more zesty caramel flavour to nourished wrap.
What’s your favourite healthy breakfast?