I can’t think of any reason to buy crackers from supermarket because making them at home is such a fun process. You can customize and personalize your very own favourite crackers in any way you like, you got to select the best, organic and healthy ingredients to work with, and you can also avoid tons of excess sodium from those shiny packages.
To indulge Yaseen’s stinky appetite for cheesy bite I bought a block of cheddar cheese over the weekend. The deep yellow brick was grated into fine sand at sunset infusing the sharp, pungent aroma from the farm to our oven.
The good thing about homemade is you get to decide everything to add in. I decided to use multigrain flour, the one I used earlier in Multigrain flatbread recipe for the crunchy and lighter texture. Paprika added a little excitement to the thin crackers. We didn’t want to add any more salt in as already had in the cheese so that the crackers would be more soothing and healthy.
Cheddar and Paprika Cracker
1 1/2 cup multigrain flour
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp baking powder
50 gm unsalted butter- cut into small pieces
1 egg yolk- beaten
1/2 cup milk
- Combine multigrain flour, baking powder, and paprika in large bowl.
- Add butter and rub in flour until formed rough grains. Add cheddar cheese and stir well.
- In another bowl, mix egg yolk and milk. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients mixture.
- Knead well for few minutes, wrap in the cling film, and rest the dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into thin sheet. Cut with cookies cutter or knife into desirable shape.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degree C for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Our homemade crackers were very crispy and perfect. A pinch of paprika was enough to tickle our tongues while we were lost in the earthy aroma of cheddar. They were not too salty but very calm and settle. They were fresh and healthier made it easier to be addicted to them without guilt.
Have a beautiful day,