We called corn dog “Apollo” in our home. I don’t know why, it’s just how Yaseen and I start calling them. While he was gone to class, I loved preparing after school special for him. Corn dog is one of his favourite snacks. Hot and sweet spongy cake wrapped around chicken sausages could easy light his little eyes up.
When he reached home and found sausages on the skewers, he knew they were for him. He waited patiently for the soft batter to embrace those tiny sausages and left them for the hot oil swim. No chance for the corn dogs to cool down, he bit and cried “ouch!” and bit some more.
Corn dogs are very easy to make. We like to make them mini because they’re cook quicker and look cuter. They are great for picnic or snack on any occasion.
I used chicken cocktail sausages but you can basically use any kind of sausages. We even tried eggplant corn dogs, and let me tell you when the eggplants melt inside the hot corn cake, you could feel a glimpse of paradise.
Mini Corn Dog
Ingredients (serving: 20 mini corn dogs)
20 mini chicken frankfurters- skewed on the bamboo skewers
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
More flour for coating the frankfurters
4 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Oil for deep frying
- Blanch mini frankfurters in boiling water for few minutes. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Combine corn meal, flour, salt and baking powder in the mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg and sugar until sugar is dissolved then mix in milk.
- Add the liquid mixture into the flours mixture and stir well. Keep the batter in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in the deep fryer over the medium heat.
- Roll mini frankfurters in flour and dip in the batter to coat well.
- Deep fry until golden brown. Serve hot.
The outer layer of the corn dogs was very hot and crispy while the inside was soft and spongy. The bite through hot, crispy, corn cake ended pleasurably on the oozing hot dogs. I didn’t have to ask Yaseen for the verdict, he basically devoured them right from hot oil.