It is always a good idea to have dried, rice wrapper or spring roll wrapper stored in your pantry. It is like a magic ingredient that allows you to make a delicious snack/appetizer in minutes. I also love how they look so delicate and transparent which let us have a sneak peak of what is the delicious stuffing inside.
When I was a kid, my mom used to have delicious spring roll party every other weekend. She would set the brunch table outdoor, in front of the house, under big mango trees. Home-grown and farm fresh vegetables were spread on the table, the smell of mints which were just swished off the garden was so refreshing. Grilled fish and steamed chicken from our farm were on the trays with the delicious steamed raising and juice dripping everywhere. Rice wrappers were distributed to everyone and we took care of ourselves. Everybody had their own style of eating; some prefer fish, some like chicken. We added some vegetable and drizzled the rolls with some spicy-sweet sauce, then wrapped and devoured.
One of the filling my mom usually added to our table was stir fried chicken and peanut. It was so delicious and slightly sweet. Peanut added the beautiful texture and the nutty flavour to it. As soon as she added the plate of this to the table, everyone started attacking it. No matter how much she made, it was always finished, and we had to fight for the last spoonful at the end.
Chicken and Peanut Spring Roll
Ingredients: (4 servings)
For the filling
2 cup minced chicken
3/4 cup roughly ground roasted peanut
3 shallots- chopped
4 cloves garlic- minced
1 red chili- minced
3 coriander roots- minced
2 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
2 tbsp oil
8-10 rice wrapper/spring roll wrapper
Fresh coriander leaves
(you can use any kind of vegetable salad you prefer)
- Heat oil in the pan over the medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, coriander roots and chili and sauté until aromatic.
- Add chicken and stir fry for a few minutes or until the chicken turns white.
- Add soy sauce, palm sugar and fish sauce. Mix well.
- Add ground peanut and stir fry for one minute or until all ingredients are mixed. Keep aside.
- The spring roll wrappers need to be handle one at the time. Do not soak them together because they will be sticking into one chunk. Soak the wrapper in the water just 10 second and transfer to the dried, clean plate. Add stir fried chicken and peanut, carrot, cucumber and fresh coriander leaves. Close both edges and roll. Repeat the process to make other rolls.
- Serve immediately with sweet soy sauce with chili.
Yaseen loves fresh spring rolls, he especially loves helping me wrap them. What he normal made was always so messy but he loved eating them. I knew he was proud of his creation, that’s why he devoured them with so much joy.
The rolls were so fresh and every bite was so crunchy and flavourful. The chicken and peanut were perfect, sweet, savoury and nutty. I intentionally made 10 rolls, we had 3 each and the last one was to fight over 🙂