I love yogurt and often have it for breakfast, sometimes use it in dessert dishes. I have never tried anything savoury with yogurt until I’ve moved to India. People in India have such a variety of savoury dishes with yogurt. The yogurt base curry from South India was one of the soothing and comforting dishes I have tried in so many years. I have become addicted to the salty and sour mixture in various spicy dishes.
One thing I’ve learned about yogurt during my early arrival was it made a good marinade. The smooth and creamy yogurt helps tenderize and flavouring the meat. Live cultures and acid make the meat soft and melt the flavours inside. The light and soft texture of yogurt help mixing spices and herbs used in recipe and let the meat soaked and absorbed the aroma and flavours better. Marinate the meat with yogurt also gives the wonderful moist and succulent result.
Spicy Yogurt Grilled Chicken is one of those trusted recipe in my kitchen. It’s never gone wrong. It’s good with anyone, the kids adore these super melting chicken. I usually marinade the chicken overnight to get them very tender and deep in flavour. They are simple to make. Sometimes I threw these marinated chicken in the freezer as they might come in very handy for some lazy lunch or dinner.
Spicy Yogurt Grilled Chicken
Ingredients: 4 servings
8-10 chicken legs or thighs
1 cup natural unflavored yogurt
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp chopped ginger
1 green chili
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp salt
- Grind garlic, shallots, ginger and green chili in the grinder until smooth paste.
- Mix in the paste with yogurt, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt in the large mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and mix well with your hands. Make sure every piece of chicken is coated with the marinade. Marinate the chicken over night or at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 200 Degree C (280 Degree if not marinate overnight). Arrange the chicken in greased baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is lightly brown and cooked thoroughly.
- Serve hot with some salad or rice.
The chicken was very tender and easily melted in our mouths. It was spicy and incredibly tasty. I loved how the chicken came out so perfect, golden brown, very moist, and oozing from the inside. Every bite was so rich with aroma and the savoury, tangy taste. We served these delicious chicken with ghee rice and refreshing cucumber raita.
Have a beautiful day,