I love the beautiful translucent thread of grass noodle or bean thread noodle. They give the beautiful sparkle to the dish and absorb any imagining flavours within. I love the lightness, gentle and elegant looking this noodle has to offer.
During my last year of high school, Entrance exams seemed to take over my live. Tuition centers were flooded with the students, we ran from one places to another for various subjects required in our exams. Along with the tuition centers, the small restaurants and food carts knew their ways to the enthusiastic, hungry geeks. Deep fried meatballs, steamy bowls of noodle, Pad Thai, deep fried oysters, hot and crispy snacks to various sweets and bake goods were some of the food we used to recharge the late evening craving.
I remembered one dish so well, the one served in a small restaurant near my Maths tuition centers. It was a simple stir fry bean thread noodle and seafood with the unique pungent flavour. The smell of this dish used to drive my stomach crazy.
When the plate arrived at my table with the most pink and perky prawns sat on top of the mountain of sparkling noodle where some crunchy and smoking veggies playing hide and seek. The smell and taste of Hoisin sauce was easy to recognize but other delicious flavours were so tricky to the tongue. The dish was filled with colors, flavours, textures and the most beautiful smoky aroma. Frankly, sometimes I confused, was I need to pass Maths or eat this delicious dish more?
Stir Fried Bean Thread Noodle with Prawn
Ingredients: (2 servings)
100 gm dried bean thread noodle, soaked in water for 10-15 minutes
200 gm Prawns- peeled and deveined
1 cup sliced Chinese cabbage
1/4 cup sliced carrot
1/2 capsicum- sliced
1/2 onion- sliced
4 cloves garlic- minced
Few celery leaves- sliced
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp chili sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in the large wok over the medium- high heat and sauté garlic until aromatic.
- Add prawn and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add Chinese cabbage, carrot, capsicum, onion, and then give it a quick stir.
- Add Hoisin sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, chili sauce, and sesame oil. Stir well until all ingredients just combined.
- Increase the heat to high and add bean thread noodle. Stir fry for a few minutes or until the noodle is tender and cooked. Add 1/2 cup of water if the noodle becomes too dry.
- Crack in the eggs and scramble in the noodle until the eggs are cooked. Check the seasoning, throw in some celery leaves, and add ground white pepper. Serve hot.
This simple noodle dish brought a lot of memories and really gave me a nostalgic vibe. The smoky smell, the beautiful crispy vegetable against tender noodle, and the juicy prawn made the dish so perfect. And when it comes to noodle, my family would always wipe the wok clean before served.
Have a lovely day,