It’s the usual scenario when I sit in front of my computer after a light breakfast checking on my favourite food blogs. I melt easily over the beautiful and vibrant pictures of food. Many inspiring posts pop on over table times to times. But there are some particular posts that when I got my eyes on, I wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about it until I cooked and ate them. So when I spotted my eyes on the picture of rice bowls in A Little Yumminess blog this week, I know I have to make them immediately.
It was about noon when I changed my lunch menu completely. I stuffed the homemade tortillas inside refrigerator and took some bok choy and minced lamb out instead. My goal was to serve sizzling sweet and savoury minced lamb, slightly tossed bok choy in sesame oil and some spicy cucumber salad over the bowls of hot rice.
Making rice bowl is never difficult at all. All you need is a fresh ingredients and a good wok. Quickly toss slices veggies in smoking hot wok with a little bit of oil and seasoning them with some soy sauce and white peppers give the right texture to the result. I love my bok choy to be slightly tender and still crunchy, so when we bite it, the natural sweet juice would splash out in my mouth. I use the same pan to cook everything, one by one, and transferring them to the mountain of hot rice.
A Quick Rice Bowl
Ingredients: (2 servings)
2 Servings of cook rice served in the bowls
100 gm minced lamb
200 gm bok choy- sliced into 2 inches long
2 tsp minced garlic- divined
2 tbsp light soy sauce- divided
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
Ground white pepper to taste
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp sesame oil
2 fried eggs
- Heat sesame oil in the large wok over the medium-high heat. When the oil starts smoking, add 1 tsp of mince garlic and stir for a quick second.
- Add bok choy, half of light soy sauce and a pinch of ground white pepper. Toss bok choy for about 1 minute or until it becomes slightly tender. Transfer stir fry bok choy to the bowls of rice. Arrange it to one side and keep space for stir fry minced lamb.
- Briskly wash the same pan, or you can use another pan. Heat vegetable oil over the medium- high heat and sauté the remaining garlic until aromatic.
- Add minced lamb, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and white pepper. Stir fry the lamb continuously for 5 minutes or until the meat become tender and cook thoroughly. Add about 1 cup of water and cook further so the sweet, savoury gravy will gave the nice moisture to the rice.
- Transfer stir fried minced lamb to rice bowls and top with some fried eggs. You may add some salad or Kim chi to the side as desire. Serve hot.
I loved how the steam of rice and quick stir fries oozed up the dish constantly as we dug in. The rice was warm and tender, soaking up every delicious juice drenched from the minced lamb. Bok choy still felt really fresh and crunchy while it slowly disappeared above out tongues. Rice bowl is quick, instant and very adaptable… that’s why there will be definitely more of this coming along this winter.