Can the same old trick surprise you every time? From my experience, cooking for my family and friends, I know the good recipe keeps everyone eyes curious and excited every single time. Just like a simple sweet and sour vegetable, with whatever vegetable of your choice, crisp and sizzle in the crimson lava of savory sauce. The sharp sweet chases the pungent sourness in the thick and sipping gravy is surprisingly irresistible every time it is served over the mountain of hot rice.
Sweet and Sour Vegetable
Ingredients (4 Servings)
100 gm bok choy- sliced
1 cup sliced cauliflower
1 carrot sliced
1 tomato- sliced
1/2 onion- sliced
3 cloves garlic- roughly bruised
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tsp corn flour- dissolved in a little water
1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in the wok or large pan over the medium heat and sauté garlic until aromatic.
- Add carrot, cauliflower, bok choy, tomato, onion and toss them in the hot oil for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, light soy sauce and ketchup and stir well. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so to infuse the flavor of the sauces into the veggies.
- Add a cup of vegetable stock and bring to boil.
- Thicken the sauce with corn flour mixture and stir until the sauce bubble.
- Serve hot with some cooked rice.
We love sweet and sour sauce. It always surprises us with beautiful contrast of flavour and texture. The vegetable was still crispy but also oozing with every moisture and hot juice from inside. Every mouthful of it was so comforting and delicious.