Egg curry is one of the easiest Indian recipes I can make. It’s wholesome and flavourful perfect for weekend brunch or afternoon comfort bite. The flavour is straight forward, spicy, tangy and very aromatic.
The curry sauce is onion and tomato base. Now you can imagine the sweetness of onion mingle in the tangy intensity of fresh tomato. The star of the recipe must be Garam Masala, and aromatic blend of spices that enwrap everything together. Hard boiled eggs are added at the end. The eggs soak up the wonderful flavour and colour of the sauce so well.
Egg curry is great with Indian flatbread. It is also really amazing with savoury pancake or crepe. But what we really love with it is deep fried flatbread. Deep fried flatbread is especially crispy on the outside, slightly chewy and soft on the inside. It sops up the curry sauce really nicely. The most amazing part is it is so simple to make.
Egg Curry with Deep Fried Flatbread
Ingredients: (2 Servings)
4 hard boiled eggs- peeled
1 large onion- diced
2 large tomato sliced
3 cloves garlic- minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 green chili- slit lengthwise
1 tsp garam masala (buy from Indian grocery store)
1/2 tumeric powder
1/2 chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
A handful of coriander leaves- chopped
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in the medium sauce pan over medium heat and sauté onion until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chili, and fry until aromatic.
- Add tomato and fry further until tomato become soft.
- Add garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Stir on the low heat for a few minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste. Let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all ingredients melt together into thick sauce.
- Check the seasoning and throw in some coriander leaves before turning off the heat.
Deep Fried Flatbread
Ingredients (make about 12)
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp melted butter
3/4- 1 cup water
A pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying
- Sift flour and baking powder in the large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and salt, and stir well.
- Gradually add water and mix with your hand until forming the sticky mass.
- Knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and pliable. Rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Devind the dough into 12 portion and roll them out into small discs.
- Deep fry the disc in hot oil until golden brown.
Our egg curry was so flavourful. It wasn’t overbold with heat but well balanced and aromatic. Deep fried flatbread was so hot and puffy. Problem, you could lose the count of them pretty easily while eating because they were so addictive and comforting.
Have a happy day,