Most weekends when we decide to go hiking, I get up early to prepare something. While Sadik and Yaseen are still feeling comfy under the blanket, I whip up and pack breakfast and lunch. By the time the boys are ready, the picnic basket is filled with so many homey, delicious things.
While we are on road driving to the destination, something magical alluringly purled in the air. It is the smell of butter, deep fried homemade dough, and sweet, caramelize fragrance swirling out of our picnic basket. This divine phenomenon teases our stomachs, and we have to stop on the way to have breakfast right away.
And when I open the picnic basket, the boys always expect one thing. A box of warm, pillow soft doughnuts dusted with powered sugar. My banana and peanut butter donuts are golden, crispy fried soft dough. Every mellow bite fills with buttery, sweet softness with a bit of crunchy peanut butter crumb surprise. They take only 15 minutes to make, so there is no excuse not making these whenever you want.
15 Minutes Banana and Peanut Butter Donuts
Ingredients: (Make about 6-8 donuts)
2 cup plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup milk powder
2 bananas- mashed
3 tbsp peanut butter (Crunchy if you like the crunch)
Powdered sugar for garnishing
Oil for deep frying
- Whisk egg, butter, sugar, and peanut butter until all sugar is dissolved.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking power, corn flour and milk powder and mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and add mashed banana. Roughly fold the ingredients together until just combine. Do not over mix the mixture or the donut will be soggy while frying. The dough should be soft but not runny like batter.
- With your hands, take some dough and form a patty. Use a small cookie cutter to cut the middle out or just punch the dough through the middle with your finger. Repeat the process until all dough is used.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or medium pan. When the oil is hot, fry 1-2 donuts at a time. Do not fry too many together, as the oil temperature will drop quickly and your donut won’t be properly cooked. Cook donut about 1 minute each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Sprinkle some powder sugar over and serve.
These quick donuts are super easy to make and they can be very addictive. I love the nutty flavour hidden inside the cakey soft sponge. And while the inside is oozy soft, the outside is perfectly crispy. It is sweet, warm and filling, perfect for breakfast or anytime snack.