I am horrible at baking. I mean, very really terrible when it comes to oven. I grew up in a part of the world where we never used oven at all in that time. We cooked in a pot, a large wok, over the flame of firewood. Baking is not what I was born to do, but I do have a strong craving for fresh bake goods.
Once a while I bake. And I know that baking needs discipline, and I should follow the recipes and measurements strictly for the perfect result. Knowing all that, I have never follow rules— I cook with my eyes, without measuring cup, like I was doing my regular stir frying, and maybe that’s why I’m so bad at baking.
Nevertheless, I’ve survived many baking days. Every now and then, my family gets to enjoy fresh bread, warm cakes, cookies, and some other treats. I can’t do anything complicated; I know what work for me and what doesn’t.
And this Grape Cake with Caramel Apple is baby! It’s super easy. I can’t think of a way anyone could go wrong with it. It looks amazing with the chewy top and oozing moist middle. And while I have a ton of grapes at home now, I think I should share this simple recipe with you.
Let’s get to the business…
First, you should preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
While the oven is preheating, grease your baking pan with butter. Line the bottom of the pan with thinly sliced apple.
Make a quick caramel with some brown sugar, butter and milk, then pour the hot caramel over the apple. Hey, if you want to skip the caramel, just drizzle some maple syrup in.
Now, let’s whip up that cake batter. You want it to be slightly thicker than your usual cake batter because there’s a lot of moisture in the grapes which are going to come out.
It’s time to topple the batter into the baking pan.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, and it should come out with a beautiful golden brown on the top.
Grape Cake with Caramel Apple
1 1/2 cup grapes (Use seedless grape otherwise you should pit them)
2 apple- peeled and sliced thinly
1 1/2 cup flour
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup caster sugar
75 gm butter
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
2. Grease the baking pan with butter. Line the bottom of the pan with sliced apple.
3. To make caramel, mix brown sugar, butter and milk in the sauce pan. Stir on a low heat until the caramel start bubbling. Cook further until the sauce becomes thick and all sugar is dissolved.
4. Pour hot caramel over the apple. Don’t worry if the caramel don’t spread evenly because when the baking start, everything is going to melt together.
5. For the batter, cream butter and caster sugar until fluffy, add eggs, vanilla essence and milk, and beat until smooth.
6. Sift in flour and baking powder, mix well until the batter comes out smooth and silky.
7. Add the grapes into the batter and mix well.
8. Pour the batter in the baking pan over the caramel apple and spread the batter evenly. You may add more grapes on the top.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is golden brown on the top.
Slice and serve. The smell of this cake is divine. I love the beautiful messy purple and red smearing in the cake. It’s soft and moist. The caramel apple in the bottom is like a luscious bonus. It’s sweet and decadent.
What’s your favorite cake?
Mine’s a vegan pandan leaf cake with coconut cream topping.