I love pasta with Asian twist. I like the texture of pasta, but I just love and comfortable with Asian flavor in food more. Not that I don’t like authentic pasta sauces. I do. But if I have to pick between regular meat sauce and curry meat sauce, I pick the later no question ask. Other than curry meat sauce, I also do the fatty grilled steak with spicy Asian dressing on pasta, pasta with Thai green curry oh yum, and even pasta with roasted duck and hoisin sauce.
Today I’m going to show you one of my favorite pasta with Asian twists. It’s Spaghetti with Thai Red Curry Meat Sauce. The sauce is super easy to make. It’s aromatic and full of busting flavors. I simple stir fried minced meat in Thai red curry paste, add coconut, and thicken the sauce with peanut butter. Yes, that’s right! Peanut butter. It thickens the sauce and gives the nutty flavor to the sauce. For pasta, instead of tossing it in olive oil or butter, I toss it in a little garlic oil. The garlic oil gives the pasta a really nice fragrance. My son would actually eat just pasta and garlic oil because it’s so comforting and delicious.
Spaghetti with Thai Red Curry Meat Sauce
Ingredients: (4-6 servings)
250 gm uncooked spaghetti
1 tbsp salt
3 cloves garlic minced
500 minced beef
50 gm Thai red curry paste
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 cup coconut cream
3 tbsp oil-divided
A few fresh kaffir lime leaves- julienned
1. Bring a pot of water to boil, add salt and spaghetti. Cook until al dente. Rinse in cold water and keep aside.
2. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over the fairy low heat, sauté garlic until golden brown and turn off the heat. Add spaghetti and let the garlic oil mix in all over. Keep the spaghetti aside.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil over the medium heat and stir fry Thai red curry paste until aromatic.
4. Add minced beef and stir it until the beef is slightly brown.
5. Add 1 cup of coconut cream and 1 cup of water. Cover the pan with the lid and let it cook for 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked and soft.
6. Open the pan, add peanut butter, and stir well until peanut butter is mixed into the sauce.
7. Add the rest of coconut cream and season the curry sauce with sugar and fish sauce. Let the sauce cook further until it’s about to boil, then remove from the heat.
8. Add some kaffir lime leaves.
9. Serve Thai red curry meat sauce over spaghetti.
It’s difficult to control myself when I have this kind of food at home. It’s so good I can never stop eating it. I love the aroma of kaffir lime leaves and the nutty flavor in the sauce. It’s also so easy to cook; the sauce takes about 30 minutes or so to make.
*** For vegetarian version check out how we do it with eggplants and Thai green curry. It’s so light, fresh and delicious.