It was fun hanging out at Harne Fish Market. We bought some fish and kept them in a box full of ice. When we reached home, they’re still fresh. You want to know what I made out of them.
I deep fried them and top with some stir friend ginger and capsicum. It’s so easy to make. You can actually whip the whole things up in 20 minutes or so.
First look at the fish… see how fresh they are. There’re small pomfrets. We have 8 of them. In this recipe, I used 4. I gutted the fish myself. I usually do. It’s simple. Pomfret doesn’t really have any scale so it’s easy to clean. You need a sharp knife to scrap off the impurity on the skin and cut out the inside of the fish. Wash and wipe them dry.
For the stir fry, I used ginger, garlic and capsicum and seasoned it with soy sauce and vinegar. The flavor of this stir fry is intense. The heat and aroma of ginger is overwhelming and it cut into the sweetness of the fish perfectly.
Fish in Stir Fried Ginger and Capsicum
4 small pomfrets (about 200 gm each)- cleaned and washed
1 tsp sea salt
50 gm ginger-finely sliced
4 cloves garlic- minced
1 onion- sliced
1 capsicum- sliced
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
Oil for deep fry + 1 tbsp for stir fry
1. Sprinkle some sea salt on the fish and rub it all over the fish.
2. Heat oil in the frying pan for frying fish. When the oil is hot, slowly add the fish and fry until golden brown. Remove the fish from the oil and keep aside.
3. In another pan over the high heat, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add garlic, ginger, onion and capsicum. Toss them together for 10 second or so.
4. Add soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and vinegar. Stir fry for 2 minutes for the flavors of the ingredients to blend together. Add a little water if you need to.
5. Add deep fried fish into the stir fried and gentle mix them together.
6. Serve hot with some rice.
The fish are crispy on the outside, they are moist and tender on the inside. The stir fry works wonderfully with the fish. It’s aromatic and spicy. It’s so good with rice.