The season is changing in India. It’s so beautiful outside, and the weather is starting to cool down. Soon winter will be here. I love it. Can’t wait to wake up to the lazy misty mornings, cook something warm and comforting, and go out on the road trips to where the season inspire us.
Pumpkin is my favorite ingredient at the moment. I know a lot of my blog friends hoarding tons of pumpkin recipes on pinterest for their autumn cookings. Pumpkin is healthy and delicious. You can play around with it, making sweet or savory as you like.
Now this pumpkin and coconut curry is so good. It’s light and comforting, made with cooked fresh pumpkin and fresh coconut paste, and flavored with tamarind and salt.
Pumpkin and Coconut Curry
Ingredients: (4 servings)
500 gm fresh pumpkin- peeled off skin and cut into medium chunks
3 shallots- sliced
1 green chili
1 tsp salt
3 pieces dried tamarind
6 curry leaves
1/2 cup grated coconut- blended in a mixer with a little water until smooth
2 tsp oil
1. Cook pumpkin in 2 cups of water, add green chili, tamarind and salt along with it, then cover and cook until the pumpkin is nicely soft.
2. Remove the cooked pumpkin from the water it’s cooked in and mash it with a fork until smooth.
3. Return mashed pumpkin back to the cooking water, add coconut paste, and turn on the heat back again. Cook it in a fairy low heat for a few minutes.
4. In another pan, heat oil over the medium heat. When the oil is hot, add curry leave and shallots. Stir fry until shallots turn golden brown.
5. Add fried curry leaves and shallots in the pumpkin and coconut curry. Stir well and serve hot with rice or flatbreads.
I tried to eat clean and healthy. This recipe is perfect for it. It’s light, fresh and comforting. I love a sweet and sour taste in it. The texture of it is so smooth and soft. It goes really well with rice or any kind of bread.
What’s your favorite way to cook pumpkin?