In Thailand we have something called Ah Haan Jan Deaw (a meal in one plate). There are so many restaurants and food stalls running their businesses on that concept. It’s Thai-style fast food usually consisting of rice and all kind of toppings served in one plate. It’s one of my favorite ways of eating out or even cooking. At home in India, for lunch especially, I love pilling up my lunch on one single plate. There is steamy hot cooked rice and some quick stir fried thing on top of it. And of course, I always top it up with fried egg or omelet just like how we do it in Thailand.
Today I want to show you one version of it. And believe me, the whole thing takes less than 15 minutes to cook. Oh you know what? I should make a series of Ah Haan Jan Deaw on my blog. I’m sure you guys would like to know how to cook easy and delicious meal in no time for lunch.
In this dish, I’m cooking stir fried chicken with basil and scallion omelet on top of hot rice. For those of you who haven’t tried scallion omelet, you must. It’s one of the dishes I grew up eating. It’s so comforting and go so well with rice especially when you drizzle a generous amount of Sri Racha Sauce over it.
Now let’s cook…
Basil Chicken with Scallion Omelet
Ingredients: (2 servings)
1 1/4 cup rice
100 gm chicken- sliced
½ onion sliced
A handful fresh basil- picked and cleaned
2 whole dried red chili
2 cloves garlic- bruised
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce or to taste
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp oil
For Scallion Omelet:
A handful scallion- chopped finely
A little fish sauce (a few drops)
1 cloves garlic- bruised
½ tsp oil
1. Cook rice until cooked and fluffy. This should take about 8-10 minutes, depending on the type of rice you are using.
2. In a medium pan over the medium high heat, add oil. When the oil is hot, add garlic and dried red chili. Stir for 5 seconds or so.
3. Add chicken and stir for 30 seconds or until the outside of the meat turn white.
4. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Stir fry further until the chicken is cooked. You may add some water if the dish becomes too dry. There should be a little sauce in it. Check the seasoning and turn off the heat.
5. To make scallion omelet, whisk eggs, chopped scallion and fish sauce together.
6. In another pan, heat oil over medium high heat and fry garlic until aromatic.
7. Add egg mixture and cook until cooked through.
8. Serve stir fried chicken with basil on top of cooked rice and top with scallion omelet.