I remember, when I was a kid, every weekendnight was a movie night. My mom and dad would allow me and my siblings to stay up late watching movies– horror movies, until we fell asleep in the livingroom. During commercials, my dad used to make snacks or even late night heavy meal depending on what was inspring him at that moment. I never really knew then how he managed to make so many yummy dishes during a 5-10 minutes commercials, but he always delivered.
One of the dishes I remember eating at our movie night is Stir Fried Rice Vermicelli with Eggs. A bowl of hot rice noodle tossed in glossy dark condiments with a rich soft eggs in the mess. The eggs were duck eggs from our backyard. They were rich and fresh. Each bite was devine. Oh how I loved our late night food at our movie night.
Stir Fried Rice Vermicelli with Eggs
100 gm Rice Vermicelli- dried
1 onion- sliced
4 large eggs
3 cloves garlic- minced
2 tbsp soysauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp oil
Some chopped scallion (I used chopped celery leaves because I was out of scallion at the moment)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch rice vermicelli in it for 2 minutes. Rise in cold water and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in the wok or large pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add garlic and stir until aromatic.
3. Crack eggs directly in the oil and stir them to get small peices of eggs.
4. Add onion and stir for one minute.
5. Add cooked noodle, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, vinegar and white pepper. Stir until mixed well. Cook further for a couple of minutes. Add chopped scallion. Check the seasoning and serve hot.
These days, I always make late night meal when I stay up late like those days. Instant noodle dishes were easy to deal with. I also love sandwiches from leftovers or a bowl of rice topped with stir fries and eggs. All these were made during commercials… just like how my dad did.
Tes (tweet to me at @testerfly)