When I was a kid, in the morning when my parents were too busy to cook, I used to make a trip to the local stores where they sold ready to eat meal in the plastic bags for 2- 5 Thai Baht (about USD 0.06-0.17) One of my favorite dish was Kha Nom Jeen, the delightful rice noodle with creamy chicken curry sauce, packed with lots of fresh side vegetables on the side. The curry and noodle were packed in separate bags, and you mixed them at home before eating. At rush hour, we used to mix the curry into the same bag of noodle and devoured on the run.
Here in India, I made this dish quite often with my own twist depending on the ingredients available. For example, recently I made this dish with flat rice noodle. I love soft texture of rice noodle against the crisp freshness of sliced vegetables.
The good news is this is so easy to make, and I’m going to show you how to do it right now.
Rice Noodle with Thai Red Chicken Curry
Ingredients: (2 servings)
100 gm dried rice noodle (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
200 gm chicken- sliced
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 1/2 cup coconut cream
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp fish sauce or to taste
3-4 kaffir lime leaves
1 tbsp oil
For garnish: sliced cabbage, sliced string beans, fresh basil
1. Heat oil in the medium sauce pan and stir fry Thai Red Curry Paste until aromatic. Use a medium heat and stir continuously to prevent the curry paste from burning.
2. Add chicken and stir fry until the chicken turned white on the outside.
3. Add 1 cup of coconut cream and chicken stock and simmer for 15- 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
4. Add kaffir lime leaves and season with palm sugar and fish sauce.
5. Add the rest of coconut cream and cook further for a couple of minutes or until the curry is about to boil. Remove from the heat immediately and add a few basil leaves.
6. In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to boil. When the water is boiling furiously, add noodle and cook for 30 seconds- 1 minute or until the noodle is cooked and soft but not over cooked. Transfer the noodle to the serving bowl immediately. Ladle some chicken curry over the noodle and garnish with fresh vegetables. Serve immediately.